Ok, so this post has little to do with photography, except that some of these places are also great locations for family photo sessions! One favorite things to do other than photography is write up travel guides. Whether you are visiting Washington, DC or a local, I hope that you find a new favorite thing on this list!
Washington, DC Cafes
- Takoma Bev: Great coffee AND bar. Really good food. The cinnamon rolls are out of this world.
- Lost Sock Roasters: Awesome coffee and pastries – and PLANTS too! I love the oat milk latte and ham & cheese croissant.
- Spring Mill Bread Company: It is really hard to go wrong here. All of the baked goods are great. My favorites are the plain croissant, and the spinach & feta turnover.
Washington, DC Restaurants
- Bistrot du Coin: Winter favorite! Delicious cozy french food.
- Le Diplomate: Charming atmosphere and wonderful food. I love the Burger Américain and the Gougeres
- Timber Pizza Company: Incredible pizza. Everything is good. Super cute storefront in Petworth and they deliver. I’ve heard they also have a good brunch.
- Maketto: Such a treat every time. Everything on the menu is delicious – two of my favorites are the wok fried rice noodles and the Maketto Fried Chicken.
- Union Market (food hall & cute shops): Go hungry! Many rotating options – the cheese shop is awesome. They have drive in movies during the summer and fall too.
- Zaytinya: Delicious Mediterranean food – order anything, you literally cannot go wrong.
- Bethesda Bagels: I am from New Jersey and this is where I go when I want a bagel that reminds me of home. SO good!
- Rasika: Love the West End location – it is near the Kennedy Center so it is easy to go there and then to a show or just to spend time on the roof of the Kennedy Center or out back (great views of the river)
- All Purpose: More amazing pizza! Creative pies – their hot honey is good on everything. Whipped ricotta from the appetizer menu is also delicious.
- Thomas Sweet Ice Cream Co.: One of my favorite ice cream places in the city. It is at the edge of Georgetown – I have been going there since I was a kid on trips to DC to visit my grandparents.
- Anxo Cidery: Fantastic dry cider and Basque food. The Florida Ave location is closing, but Kennedy St location will remain open.
- Compass Rose: Eclectic menu and fun atmosphere
- Duke’s Grocery: Get the burger!
- Little Beast: The Detroit style pizza is incredible
- Jeni’s Ice Cream: Lots of unique flavors – all delicious!
- Donut Run: These donuts are out of this world! Their cinnamon rolls are amazing too.
- Chacho: Brand new (as of June 2021) aguardiente distillery with a few menu items. It is in a warehouse so it feels a little like you are going into a speakeasy – but lovely and wonderful drinks and snacks!
- Lulu’s Wine Garden: Great wine bar with a variety of seating options both in and outside. Order wine, cocktails, and heavy apps via QR code from your phone.
My Favorite Museums
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- National Gallery of Art & Sculpture Garden
- Hirschhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Air and Space Museum
- National Building Museum
The Best Monuments
- Watch the sunrise from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Totally worth the early wake up!
- Weather permitting, have a picnic on the lawn near the Washington Monument.
- Walk the National Mall.
Other places to visit in Washington, DC
- National Arboretum: So many beautiful spots in here! It is enormous – you could truly spend all day. My favorites are the National Capitol Columns and the Asian Collection. Check out more of my thoughts about the Arboretum on Redfin’s Blog Post – 20 Beautiful Places to Visit in Washington, DC, that Locals Rave About.
- Monuments by Moonlight Tour
- National Zoo
- US Botanic Garden
- Rock Creek Park: Urban oasis! Hike the Western Ridge Trail for gorgeous, peaceful views. The boulder bridge loop on Beach Drive is really nice as well. It is mostly flat and paved, so great to bike or scooter along as well.
I would love to hear about anything new your try from this list! Feel free to send me an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop me a note via via the contact form on my website.