Maternity photo sessions are so special because they capture the anticipation and excitement of a new baby joining your family. Having that documented to share with your child in years to come so they can see and feel what that time was like? Well, as a maternity photographer I just love that.
Ok, let’s talk some more about Washington DC maternity photo sessions.
So, what are maternity photo sessions?
Maternity sessions typically happen in the 7th or 8th month of pregnancy, and are geared towards capturing you and your family as you await your baby’s arrival. This type of session can be done at your home, or at an outdoor location in the Washington, DC area (more on both of those shortly). Either way, the result is forever keepsakes to remember this time in your life. Unscripted, in-the-moment photos tell the elegant story of coming to motherhood, or adding to your family.
Ok, here’s the deal on in home maternity sessions
They’re amazing. The end.
Kidding (kind of) – let me tell you a little more. In-home maternity photography is cozy, laid back and can move at your family’s pace. One of the other benefits is that if you have a nursery set up (or even in process), we can take photos there as well to capture that part of your family’s story. As your photographer, I will help to guide the session with suggestions of locations around your home that have the best lighting, or unique elements that we can incorporate.
Let’s talk about on location maternity photo sessions
On location sessions are an amazing option, and there are so many unique spots for your Washington DC maternity photo session. Outdoor sessions can be held at any time of year, but the type of location you select may vary by season.
- Awesome all year round: Blagden Alley, The Kennedy Center, Georgetown, Old Town Alexandria (or any other urban location you dream up!)
- Best in fall, spring, or summer: Rock Creek Park, Sligo Creek Trail, The National Arboretum, Brookside Gardens
What should we wear?
Check out this blog post for my general suggestions on clothing selection for you and your family. TL;DR, I am not prescriptive about clothing choices because these are your photos and should look like you. Instead, I offer some straightforward guidelines. Clothing should be: well fitting, coordinated but not matching, free of large logos, not brightly colored.
A few other considerations for you that are specific to being photographed while pregnant:
- Comfortable clothing – I stand by this one for everybody. If you feel at ease in what you are wearing, that will show in your photos.
- Fitted at the top – I’d recommend that the shirt, sweater, or dress you choose is either fitted or skims your belly in order to showcase that bebe. Lots of options here, I would just avoid anything that is really baggy.
- Solid colors or simple patterns – Busy patterns can be distracting, simple is best.
If you have questions or want to talk through options, just let me know!
You’re ready to book a session? Awesome! Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Reach out early! Maternity sessions are ideally held in the seventh or eighth month of pregnancy. It’s best to reach out to me three or four months ahead of time to schedule your session in order to be sure there is a spot available.
- Are you also thinking about having a newborn session once your baby is here? I have two packages that include a newborn session, and will get you a bit of a discount for booking everything together.
Ok, see you soon!